Saturday, August 23, 2014

Food of Europe: Market Day in Bourg d'Oisans


We decided to drive down into Bourg d'Oisans on Saturday morning on our way to Geneva in order to find something a little more substantial for breakfast than was available at our inn, and we discovered that Saturday morning is market day in the Bourg. What a very pleasant surprise! These little things that one stumbles across while traveling add so much sparkle to the experience. (I asked Mark if that was too gay to write, and he said, "Yes," but I decided to leave it the way it was because that's how I felt.)




The omelet we had for breakfast. Interesting. Served by a waiter/owner (?) with designer glasses. Ah, France.


My biggest regret of the trip so far (other than losing my Mont Blanc cartridge pen) was not sampling some of this bread. "Bread?" you say? Yes, bread.


Apparently, the owner of the stall didn't get the memo about saying no to "crack." I didn't notice this until I went through my pictures later in the day.

Artisanal honey confections and beeswax candles.

The line to get into the butcher's shop.








It was a charming morning.

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to be in Europe right now, enjoying the sites, sounds, and wonderful foods. May I ask what profession you have that allows you to spend a month in Hawaii and then time in France? Whatever you do, I want to do, too, so that I can have some of the experiences you are having. :) Yes, I am jealous.

    I love that you include so many wonderful details and all the gorgeous pictures! Wow, what beautiful country. (I speak German- if you need a German-speaking tag-along, I am glad to nominate myself!!)

    Happy riding and traveling. Stay safe! Duck

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your comment about the proprietor and his "crack" made me laugh. You can tell him next time that his drugs are showing. See if he understands. :)

    ReplyDelete