Wednesday, June 20, 2012

South Mountain


On Monday, Mark and I rode to the summit of Traverse Ridge Road on South Mountain.  As Mark put, this was "quite a notch on my belt."  I wrote before of our first attempt up this daunting ascent.  But on Monday, we made it all the way.  I couldn't believe it, frankly.  This graph tells the story:


We climbed almost 2000 feet over the course of six miles, 1200 of which were in the last three miles of the ascent.  I didn't take any pictures, but I found the lead picture and the following photos on the internet; they accurately portray some of what we saw.  The road that is pictured above and below is the one we went up.




Right now, I'm just focusing on crossing the finish line, so to speak, but I hope that as I go along and progress in my training and in my riding, I'll be able to articulate more of what I'm feeling on these rides.

Last Friday, we rode up to Jordan Pines again in Big Cottonwood Canyon, then on Sunday and again yesterday, we did a simple Little Cottonwood loop, due to time constraints.  Mark's on call this week, so we can't go up Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon, but we are planning to tackle Emigration again today, perhaps moving past where we previously rode on up to Big Mountain pass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment