Friday, April 27, 2012

An Afternoon Run in Makena


I didn't get my morning run in on Wednesday, so Mark suggested that I bring my gear back with us to the beach after our early-afternoon break so that I could go a run out in Makena (pronounced like "MacKenna").  My feet were really hurting, my planter fasciitis being aggravated by all the walking across sandy beaches and playing of paddleball, but I decided to give it a try.  I didn't do that much running, but I sure enjoyed the scenery.








One of the main reasons I took this route was to see the historic Keawala'i Congregational Church, pictured below.  After passing by manicured lawns surrounding a resort, I came upon a beautiful little stretch of road that featured older homes set in lush properties, which actually kind of reminded me of Bowen Island back in Vancouver.  Then, around a curve in the road sat this church.


Founded in 1832 and built in 1855, the walls of the church are 3-feet thick and made of lava using coral as mortar. The Hawaiians planted the plants around the church, which according to custom, provides protection from evil.


I cribbed the following review from the Maui Destination Guide websiste:
"Set in the heart of Maui's exploding luxury home scene, the coastal land surrounding Keawala'i Church serves as one lingering hope for the real Hawaii, where culture and heritage outshine the luster of opulence and wealth. Near the end of a non-descript paved road running along Makena's coastline, Keawala'i Church sits serenely perched on the same simple plot of land it has stood upon since the days of local ranching, farming, and the Hawaiian monarchy. 
"Established in 1832, the church was originally constructed of native pili grass. Eventually switching to stone and cement, the church's first bell was set in place in 1862—six full years after the bell was initially ordered from the United States 
"Aside from its authentic missionary-style architecture, idyllic seaside plot, or storied history that parallels the island's struggles with modernization, the characteristic that makes Keawala'i Church so enduringly unique is that it continues to act as a pillar of faith in preserving the Hawaiian language and heritage. 
"At a time when many of its neighboring plots of land are being sold off one parcel at a time to luxury home developers, Keawala'i Church continues to hold sermons in the Hawaiian language, practice native hula and chant, and draw an island-wide congregation to this little chapel by the sea."
One of the most charming aspects of the church property is its beautiful little cemetery between the church and the ocean, which is just beyond a row of bushes and trees at the extreme left of the following photo.


One of the oldest gravestones on the property is the one in the foreground, which marks the graves of Elisa and Susie Kauaulalena, apparently a mother and daughter, pictured below.




I headed back to the beach parking lot after leaving the church.


A few hundred yards from the manicured grounds along Makena Road, the landscape shifts dramatically back to its native state, which includes quite a few Napali cacti.





2 comments:

  1. Mahalo nui for this post. Tutu Makapo (Susie Kauaulalena) is my maternal great-grandmother and I visit her grave whenever I'm on Maui (I live on Oahu).

    I trust all is well with you. Malama pono ... laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful to hear from you. I was so touched when I visited that graveyard. I can't wait to get back to Maui. Such a special place.

    ReplyDelete